Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Flooding?

With recent events such as the catastrophic flooding in Florida after Hurricane Ian, understanding what kind of damage is covered by homeowner’s insurance has become especially important for those living in vulnerable areas.

While many people assume that all damage resulting from a natural disaster is covered, this is not always the case. As a policyholder, it’s important to understand exactly what kind of coverage you are getting and how much protection it offers in the event of a natural disaster.

What Does My Homeowners’ Policy Cover?

Homeowner’s insurance typically covers things such as theft, fire, and other non-natural disasters. For example, if a tree falls on your house during a storm, most homeowner’s insurance policies will cover the cost of repairs.

Generally speaking, the type of water damage covered by homeowner’s insurance will depend on the language of the policy. Some companies may offer limited coverage for burst pipes and drainage issues, while others may exclude them entirely. It is important to read through your policy closely to make sure you are aware of what kind of protection you have in place.

However, most homeowner’s policies do not cover floods caused by natural disasters like hurricanes or severe storms. These kinds of events often require specific flood insurance policies.

How Does Flood Insurance Work?

Flood insurance is a type of coverage that is added in addition to your homeowner’s policy and provides financial protection against losses due to flooding. This coverage applies in the event of a flood caused by an overflow of rivers, streams, and other bodies of water, as well as other natural disasters. Because homeowner’s insurance may only cover some types of water damage, in order to be fully protected against flood-related losses in these situations, additional coverage in the form of flood insurance is typically required.

Homeowner’s insurance and flood insurance are two distinct forms of protection that serve different purposes. It is important to make sure you understand exactly what types of damages your policy covers so that you can be fully prepared in the event of an unexpected loss. With the right combination of policies in place, you can ensure that both your home and belongings will remain safe from costly damages caused by water damage or flooding.

Have questions about your property insurance claim? Feel free to contact Stark Loss for more information about how a Public Adjuster can help.

Want To Level The Playing Field?

Stark Loss Consultants works for you to ensure you get a Maximum Claim Payment from your insurance company.
Or Call (877) 507-8275