Frozen & Burst Pipes – Homeowner’s Guide

When you discover that a pipe has burst in your home, it is important to act quickly and be knowledgeable about next steps in order to limit the amount of damage that can be caused.


It is your responsibility to begin the clean-up process of the water and to start drying out the affected area. The very first thing you should do in the event of a burst pipe is turn off the main water source to building in order to stop further leakage. After that, begin bringing any soaked items out of the space and set them out to dry. Then it is time to notify your insurance of the leak and call a plumber to begin repairs.

Know Your Policy

It is smart to be familiar with what you are covered for on your property insurance policy. Typically, homeowners’ insurance does not cover the repair of the burst pipe. The reason the pipe itself is usually not be covered is because the insurance company will state that it could have been prevented by the homeowner.

However, insurance will likely cover the items that were damaged due to the flood of water. Things like walls, carpets, ceilings as well as any additional clean up services such as mold prevention are usually covered under your policy.

What about seasonal properties?

You will likely know about a burst pipe in your home right away, but what about in a vacation home? If a pipe bursts in your home and you did not know for months, the extent of the damage would be much worse.

This is why it is smart to turn off the water to the home and drain all water from water sources to ensure no leak could occur. Even though it may be counterintuitive, keeping heat on in the home can also lessen the chance of a pipe bursting. Lastly, asking a trusted neighbor to check on the place regularly is a preventative measure you can take as well.

Have questions about your property insurance claim? Feel free to contact Stark Loss for more information about how a Public Adjuster can help.

Want To Level The Playing Field?

Stark Loss Consultants works for you to ensure you get a Maximum Claim Payment from your insurance company.
Or Call (877) 507-8275