Smoke & Soot Damage Insurance Claims: 3 Tips to Maximizing Your Recovery

Dealing with the aftermath of a fire at your home or business can be a daunting task. If you’re like most people, one of the first calls you’ll make is to your insurance provider to begin the process of filing a claim, so you can begin the recovery process.

Fire damage claims can be tricky – especially when the smoke from the fire spread to other areas of the home. That’s because once the smoke clears, soot, ash and other smoke residues will continue to linger throughout the house, even in areas that were not impacted by the flames.

To ensure that you’re full compensated for the full extent of the damage to your home, here are 3 tips to help you maximize your recovery.

Know What You’re Entitled To

Does homeowner insurance cover soot and smoke damage? Well, the short answer is yes. Insurance companies are obligated to cover the damage smoke does to your home and contents lost in the fire. This also includes any water damage caused when firefighters extinguished the blaze. The key is to make sure that indirect damages, such as smoke and soot are included when the insurance company assesses the property.

Document Everything

Take pictures of any damaged parts of your property. This includes furniture, carpeting, appliances and cabinets. If there is water damage after the fire is put out, make sure to document that with photographs as well. In addition, if firefighters needed to break doors, cut holes or cause any other damage to the property in the process of fighting the fire, you’ll want to make sure that is documented to make sure it’s covered.

Be Aware: Smoke and Soot Can Travel

Smoke and soot can travel all through a house during a fire, and even reach areas of the property that are totally unimpacted by the actual fire itself. In some cases, even neighboring properties can be affected. Smoke, soot and ash can work their way into carpeting, clothes, furniture, upholstery and drapes. In addition, smoke can damage plastics and marble countertops.

Have questions about your property insurance claim? Feel free to contact Stark Loss for more information about how a Public Adjuster can help.

Want To Level The Playing Field?

Stark Loss Consultants works for you to ensure you get a Maximum Claim Payment from your insurance company.
Or Call (877) 507-8275