A home is more than just bricks and mortar; it’s a cherished space where memories are made. When structural damage threatens the integrity of this sanctuary, the immediate concern is safety, swiftly followed by the looming question: “Is this covered by my insurance?” Stark Loss Consultants is here to shed light on this critical issue for residential property owners.
- Defining Structural Damage Structural damage goes beyond cosmetic issues. It refers to problems that compromise the foundational integrity of your home, potentially making it unsafe or uninhabitable. Examples include major cracks in walls or foundations, sagging roofs, and compromised support beams. Such damage can arise from various causes, such as natural disasters, soil movement, construction defects, or age-related wear and tear.
- Homeowner’s Insurance and Structural Damage Most standard homeowner’s insurance policies cover structural damage, but with caveats. Typically, if the damage is sudden and accidental—like a tree falling on your roof or damage from a burst pipe—you’re likely covered. However, if the damage results from neglect, lack of maintenance, or wear and tear, insurance might not cover it. For instance, a slow, undetected leak that causes rot over years may not be covered.
- Special Circumstances: Earth Movement and Floods Two common causes of structural damage often excluded from standard policies are earth movement and flooding. Earth movement can encompass earthquakes, landslides, and sinkholes, while flooding refers to water inundation from external sources like heavy rain, storm surges, or overflowing rivers. To secure protection against these perils, you’d need to purchase additional policies or endorsements.
- The Importance of Thorough Policy Review It’s essential to periodically review your insurance policy with a fine-tooth comb. Understand the exclusions, limits, and any endorsements you might have. If you’re in an area prone to specific risks, like hurricanes in Florida, ensure you have the necessary additional coverage. Stark Loss Consultants can assist in reviewing policies and ensure that homeowners understand their coverage limits and potential vulnerabilities.
- Engaging Public Insurance Adjusters in the Claim Process In the unfortunate event of structural damage, filing a claim can be a daunting task. As public insurance adjusters, Stark Loss Consultants stands by homeowners, advocating on their behalf to ensure they receive what they’re genuinely entitled to. With intricate knowledge of insurance policies and the claims process, we can help navigate the complexities and challenges that arise during such stressful times.
Have questions about your property insurance claim? Feel free to contact Stark Loss for more information about how a Public Adjuster can help.